Submission


Dear Sisters,
There is such peace for a submissive woman. Such peace. How do I know? Well, I use to be anything but peaceful, because I did not recognize my head - that is my husband - under Christ; nor did I consider him in all things through a submissive spirit. Then these verses hit me like a ton of bricks, changing my demeanor, as I sought to obey them :
"But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God." 1 Corinthians 11:3
"For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is Savior of the body." Ephesians 5:23
A woman's husband is her head, her covering. That is why Ruth spoke to Boaz and said,
"I am Ruth, your maidservant. Take your maidservant under your wing, for you are a close relative." Ruth 3:9b
Under your wing. Under your protection and headship. Ruth will remain his obedient maidservant, as Sarah did likewise and called Abraham her lord. (1 Peter 3:6) This covering is also spoken of by the LORD concerning the nation Israel when He became a Husband to her: "When I passed by you again and looked upon you, indeed your time was the time of love; so I spread My wing over you and covered your nakedness. Yes, I swore on oath to you and entered into a covenant with you, and you became Mine," says the LORD God." Ezekiel 16:8
Our husbands, whether they realize it or not, are under Christ, and are over us, whether we realize it or not. It is so much more blessed when we do realize our honored positions in Christ. Our husbands are our wing. Our protection. Even though we are one with our husbands, as Christ is One with the Father, we have been called to recognize their authority over us and to submit to their will. We are essentially "their maidservant" as we have been called to help them be all that God would have them to be, thus enabling us to be all that God would have us to be. We are, along with Mary, the maidservants of God. The most beautiful description of this Oneness and humble submission is Jesus Christ to the Heavenly Father. He left His Glory to come to this earth as a man. That was very, very humbling. But even more than that was the incredible humility of his death for us. An awesome example of submission for a woman under authority. For most every day we will lay down our glory and humbly serve this man and family that God has given us, for their glory, and ultimately to the glory of God. The beauty of this service comes in a heart that beats for God and lays down its life that others might live.
"But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." Matthew 23:11-12
The problem a woman can have is when she does not realize that she is to submit to her *own* husband. Not her neighbor's husband. Not her friend's husband. Not her mother's husband. Not her mother-in-law's husband. Her *own* husband.
"Wives, likewise, be submissive to your *own* husbands..." 1 Peter 3:1a 
"

Wives, submit to your *own* husbands, as to the LORD." Ephesians 5:22
"For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their *own* husbands," 1 Peter 3:5
So when I see other wives doing things that would never work in my home or in my marriage, I must not resent my husband or nag him to get my way. I must not complain to my friends how unfair my husband is. My husband is my head under Christ. My priority under Christ. For if a woman studies the men of God in the Bible, she will see that each man was a different head of a different woman in a different set of circumstances at a different time and place in history. Yet God was faithful to each of the women who feared Him and submitted to their husband. Naomi, in Moab, is an example. Sarah, in the harems, is another example of this.
"For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their *own* husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any fear." 1 Peter 3:5-6 Trusting in God. Submitting to her *own* husband. The priorities and adornment of a Godly woman. A priority and adornment that is gentle and quiet. That is pure peace without any fear. A Proverbs 31 woman in quiet service, if you will. This is a "gracious woman who retains honor." Her glory is for her husband and ultimately for her LORD and Savior Jesus Christ - to the glory of His Head, Her Heavenly Father. And the Bible says she will be honored:
"But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised." Proverbs 31:30
Charm is deceitful. Beauty is vain, as Proverbs 31 says. But the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. It is the adornment a Godly woman brings to her husband, which is much more precious than rubies. All the days of her life this man gains with her at his side. One day he will rise up and called her blessed. And the LORD, Himself, will gather her in His Arms that glorious day when she hears Him say from His Glorious Throne:
"Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into your Master's rest!
Love,
Laine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker