Decorating Grandma Style


Dear Ronda,
Here is an article that I wrote for our local newspaper some time ago. My grandmother was just thrilled. She framed the article and put it in her living room. I was so blessed that she liked it. Decorating Grandma Style

Without a doubt, the one house I remember with the greatest fondness is Grandma's. Her "palace" wasn't stylish or modern, but incredibly warm and cozy. The smell of meat loaf cooking permeated the air throughout the kitchen and into her front room.
My favorite foods were always in abundance when I arrived as though some princess from a foreign country had descended upon her. And no one ever got a better night's sleep than I did on her old pull out bed with the soft, combed cotton sheets.
I came to a surprising realization about myself this past week when describing my house to a new friend over the phone. I discovered I've decorated my house just like Grandma's. It hasn't been easy.
Over the past eight years I've worked hard to transform six rooms into Grandma's house. But I seem to be on a quest to give my kids everything she gave me while growing up: God's love and security, home-made meat loaf and comfortable aphgan-covered chairs (chairs that seemed to coax a longer visit).
My quest for "Grandma's Look" has taken me all over San Diego County. You can't find this look everywhere. It takes careful treasure-hunting through antique stores, thrift shops, swap meets and garage sales to come up with an old Singer sewing machine, A Kelvinator stove, Fiesta Ware dishes in bright colors, and plush chenille bedspreads, to name a few.
Putting it all together is another story. I shift it around and around, trying to evoke my grandmother's style, with just a touch of my own. When I finally get it right, I know it deep down inside, because Grandma would be comfortable here.
Out of all my "grandmother-like" belongings, the only ones she has given me are an old fox stole my grandfather bought her in the 30's, her wedding photo with her holding a white lily (her favorite flower), and a turquoise glass candy dish that always prompted her to say, "Careful of the lid," which I fill with the same ribbon candy she kept in it. Needless to say, these are the true treasures I have designed my home around.
My new friend came over for a visit a few days ago. Grandma's fox stole brought back fond memories for her. She told of romps in her grandmother's attic, playing dress-up with her sisters. Some old cups I served drinks in made her gasp with delight as recollections of her childhood flooded back. 
You can't find my style of decorating in Architectural Digest or House and Garden or even Country Magazine, because Grandma never read them.
She had her own look and her own way, and her motto was: "If you can't do it right, then don't do it at all." So, I keep trying to do it right. There's still the claw foot bathtub to be put in, wallpapering the master bedroom, and an Afghan to be knitted for the couch.
But I know I'm on the right track. Just the other day my oldest son asked, "Can I have one of our old framed pictures for my house when I grow up? It will give me great memories." Of course, I said yes. Memories are the stuff palaces are decorated with.
Love,
Laine 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker