A bit of Laines testimony


Dear Sisters,
So often when women read the Proverbs 31 passage they exclaim, "This is the Impossible Woman!" They shake their heads and then begin to make excuses why this woman could not be true. Here are some of the statements I have heard, or read, or even stated myself:
"She is a compilation of many women."
"She was married to a rich man and had more money to work with than I do."
"She had servants, therefore she was able to accomplish what she accomplished."
"She was married to an older man who held her in honor."
"She was an older woman. I'm young and inexperienced."
"She had to be choleric - a doer. My personality is different than hers."
"She probably had an older and wiser mother who trained her. I am untrained." 
I could go on and on. The point is that we are very good at making excuses in our lives, but we will never know the power of God's Word in our daily activities until we believe it for ourselves and act upon it being led by His Spirit.
What? Believe Proverbs 31 for myself? Is this possible?
Well, I never used to think so. For I used many of those excuses mentioned above for years. Those excuses only paralyzed me and kept me in a mode of terrible procrastination. Which is really a softened word for laziness. I was lazy mentally. And I was lazy physically.
Why?

Because just as Jesus told the Pharisees, "You do not know the Scriptures nor the power of God." Therefore they were "greatly deceived" Scripture states in Mark 12:24-27. Well, much like Eve so long ago in the garden. She did not have His Word quite right, nor did she know His power either. Therefore her deception led to conception. The conception of what?
Sin.
"And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression." 1 Timothy 2:14
I was no different. I spent no time in His Word. So I did not know the Scriptures. That's the "hearing" of God. What follows next is His power. The "doing" of God's Word. Without knowing Him you cannot know what He does either. The result is sin. That is why He calls us to be "Hearers and Doers" of His Word. Both are so greatly needed, and without them both we "deceive our own selves" leading to our own destruction.
"But be doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves." James 1:22
"For he who looks into the Perfect Law of Liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does." James 1:25
Over seven years ago, the LORD in His great grace began to get me into the Scriptures every early morning before beginning my day. I began to learn to give Him the "firstfruits" of my day and slowly saw Him transform me. A transformation that is continuing to this day.
As I began to learn Who my Great God is and how much He loved me, I began to realize that He had the power to do in weak me what was written in His Living Word. Even Proverbs 31? Yes, even that. It is His power perfected in weakness.
The first thing I had to learn was my priorities. Oh, once the LORD opened up to me my priorities as a married woman of God, I understood better just why I had been having so many problems over the years. My priorities were all out of whack. You see, I did not know the Scriptures, so I did not understand what the will of the LORD was for my life. I was greatly deceived, just like Eve so long ago. Once He began to open up the Scriptures for me, which "caused my heart to burn within me," I began to realize just where some of my problems lay. This is how my priorities used to be 
myself
my children
my outside activities
my husband
my home
my LORD
Oooh, I can't tell you what a mess I was in. Everything was in trouble. I was a fearful, complaining, nagging woman. No peace. No joy. No thankfulness. No praying without ceasing. Rather discontent. Discontent with myself. Discontent with my children. Discontent with my outside activities. Discontent with my husband. Discontent with my home. And, yes, discontent with even my LORD.
"Why do you call me LORD and do not do the things which I say?"
That fully described me. I called Him "LORD" on Sunday when my Bible lay in my lap for three quarters of an hour. But I didn't do the things which He said. I didn't even know personally the things He said and why He said them. And I suffered for it. My husband suffered for it. My children suffered for it. And ultimately my home and those around me suffered for it as well.
I will never forget when He showed me my priorities through this passage. A light went off in my brain that has stayed lit to this day.
"Do not let a widow under sixty years old be taken into the number, and not unless she has been the wife of one man, well reported for good works: if she has brought up children, if she has lodged strangers, if she has washed the saints' feet, if she has relieved the afflicted, if she has diligently followed every good work." 1 Timothy 5:9-10
What was going on here? Well, widows, "who were widows indeed," were those women who had no children alive left on earth. They were to be supported by the church as they prayed continually and ministered to those in need in the church body. But this is the criteria the church was to use to determine if she indeed was to be supported and work in this manner. These were the priorities she was to have followed in her life up to sixty years of age:
The LORD: the reason she wants to be a continual prayer warrior and to minister among His Body. Definitely a woman who has died to herself and now lives to Christ.
Her husband: faithful to him alone, much like the criteria of an elder of the church.
Her children: bringing them up was listed as her first good work, it was that vital.

Her home: it was the kind of home even strangers were welcomed in, especially those in the Body of Christ. Hospitality practiced without measure; which explains why she would wash their feet as her LORD had His disciples. A servant's heart.B.C. (before Christ): myself
my children
my outside activities
my husband
my home
my LORD
Oooh, I can't tell you what a mess I was in. Everything was in trouble. I was a fearful, complaining, nagging woman. No peace. No joy. No thankfulness. No praying without ceasing. Rather discontent. Discontent with myself. Discontent with my children. Discontent with my outside activities. Discontent with my husband. Discontent with my home. And, yes, discontent with even my LORD.
"Why do you call me LORD and do not do the things which I say?"
That fully described me. I called Him "LORD" on Sunday when my Bible lay in my lap for three quarters of an hour. But I didn't do the things which He said. I didn't even know personally the things He said and why He said them. And I suffered for it. My husband suffered for it. My children suffered for it. And ultimately my home and those around me suffered for it as well.
I will never forget when He showed me my priorities through this passage. A light went off in my brain that has stayed lit to this day.
"Do not let a widow under sixty years old be taken into the number, and not unless she has been the wife of one man, well reported for good works: if she has brought up children, if she has lodged strangers, if she has washed the saints' feet, if she has relieved the afflicted, if she has diligently followed every good work." 1 Timothy 5:9-10
What was going on here? Well, widows, "who were widows indeed," were those women who had no children alive left on earth. They were to be supported by the church as they prayed continually and ministered to those in need in the church body. But this is the criteria the church was to use to determine if she indeed was to be supported and work in this manner. These were the priorities she was to have followed in her life up to sixty years of age:
The LORD: the reason she wants to be a continual prayer warrior and to minister among His Body. Definitely a woman who has died to herself and now lives to Christ.
Her husband: faithful to him alone, much like the criteria of an elder of the church.
Her children: bringing them up was listed as her first good work, it was that vital.
Her home: it was the kind of home even strangers were welcomed in, especially those in the Body of Christ. Hospitality practiced without measure; which explains why she would wash their feet as her LORD had His disciples. A servant's heart. 
Her outside ministries: relieving the afflicted and following every good work that the LORD led her to do. Something He had prepared before time for her to do in His Name. Her family was not slighted by her outside ministries, rather honored by them.
Wow! I was amazed. This was an older woman I needed to emulate. This woman had died to herself that others might live, something only possible through the strength and power of the Living Christ loving and working through her. If she had lost everyone close to her in this life, her godly priorities and the faithful following of them gave the church full admonishment to support her as she continued ministering to His Body to the glory of God. And if I didn't get God's priorities for a married woman right the first time, it was repeated again in the same passage to the younger widows:
"Therefore I desire that the younger widows marry, bear children, manage the house, and give no opportunity to the adversary to speak reproachfully." 1 Timothy 5:14
The priorities repeated again:
Her LORD: obeying His written Word and doing it.

Her Husband: marriage held in honor and respect.
Her Children: the bearing of them which is much more than just giving birth, but a lifetime of love and commitment.
Her Home: managing it as described in Proverbs 31.
Her Outside Ministries: done in Christ that the enemy has absolutely no foothold to speak reproachfully about this woman.
Now I understood the Proverbs 31 woman a little bit better. She had her priorities right. When I read this passage now, I do not feel overwhelmed, rather excited as I ask the LORD to do through me what He has done through her. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He still does the impossible through weak women of faith. And even our LORD had priorities from the Father when He walked this earth. It is the same for me as His Chosen Woman of faith.
These are my priorities now, A.D. (after death to myself and life to Christ):
My LORD: I love to get up and get into His Living Word. He is changing my heart as I never dreamed possible. He is so beautiful! I am amazed and awestruck at His love.
My Husband: I am learning to love and respect my husband. He keeps telling me these days how thankful he is to be married to me. I can't thank God enough.
My Children: I consider it an honor to teach and train my children in the Word of God and in our home. We have never been more closer. God be praised!
My Home: I have years and years of "homemaking debt" from doing things all wrong. But the LORD is helping me to peel off those wrong layers and replace them with His wise choices. Proverbs 31 has been a great help to me in this area. I can only marvel at His goodness to me. 
My Outside Ministries: I would have never believed I could strengthen the hands of others when my own hands used to be so weak, but the LORD is doing the impossible through His willing servant. May only He be glorified time and time again.
"Oh, that they had such a heart in them that would fear Me and always keep all my commandments, that it might be well with them and with their children forever." Deuteronomy 6:29
I am willing, LORD Jesus.
"For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived , fell into transgression. Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, holiness, with self control." 1 Timothy 2:13-15
Saved from what?
Saved from deception.
Her priorities?
Faith: The LORD first and foremost, "I love you, LORD, my strength."
Love: Her husband & children, "They will rise up and call her blessed."
Holiness: Set apart for them alone which is "a wise woman building her house."
Self Control: Serving others as she dies to herself, "diligently following every good work." "Create in me a clean heart, O LORD, that I might serve You." I bow down and kiss His nail scarred Feet. For it is Here that I really begin to live.
Love,
Laine 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker