Antiquing


Dear Ronda,
"There is desirable treasure and oil in the dwelling of the wise." Proverbs 21:20a
I went to the antique store yesterday. I get this urge to go about every two months. It is such a peaceful place for me. I love the old, musky smell of everything. I go and learn what things cost and often come home with some really good deals. As always, I pray as I look around.
Yesterday, I found an old red cookie press for my daughter, Abbie. It was only three dollars and will go with the decor in my kitchen (touches of red). I also got a silverware holder in bright red for four dollars. I had been looking for one to put in the center of my table as we often have guests and this enables me to set it up attractively, buffet style. The last thing I bought was a stereo topic viewer which they used to use to look at old pictures. I loved to look at the one in our library when I was growing up. This was an unbelievable six dollars. All these items would have been priced much higher at the thrift shop. Often I can get some really good deals at the antique store if I just hunt a bit.
I find the antique store to be a place where you can learn a lot from the women who were ahead of us ( time wise) and had a lot of wisdom. I've gotten old recipe books, sewing books, and wonderful old patterns. I have some patterns for doll clothes that date back to the late 1800's. (I only paid a dollar for all of them!) The neat thing about antiques is that they will always go up in value. One time I bought a doll's trunk totally filled with old doll clothes. I paid $25 for the whole thing, and after I counted all the clothes, I paid about a dollar an item. It was a real deal. Two months ago I took my cousin to the antique store as she had never been before. I found old rag balls dating back to the late 1800's. I bought them at $1 a piece and have started crocheting a rag rug. It looks so pretty in a big basket in my living room. I like to imagine what the woman was like who did all that work on the rag balls, and now I am having the pleasure of putting them together. As the material passes through my fingers, I wonder if this was the family's 
clothes. I'm sure it probably was. I have to work gingerly as some of the material is very old and fragile. And, oh, how I love the musky smell!
My mom and I were in the antique store several years ago when I spotted a big box of colorful quilted squares done in the yo-yo pattern. My mom bought them for me for me as an early Christmas present. It took me years to get it finished. But, again, I wondered what the woman was like who before me had started this beautiful quilt. And as I worked on it, I felt happy to learn what I was doing from her stitches before me. Now that it hangs in my kitchen, I feel encouraged to try to start my own yo-yo quilt from the beginning.
These are all the wonderful things I have brought to my home from antique store shopping. It is truly a pleasurable experience.
Much love,
Laine 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker