Critical spirits


Dear Sisters,
Hi! I hope you are all doing fine. I had to write and thank you all for the many beautiful letters I have received over the weeks since I wrote about critical spirits. Oh, how I wish I could write personally to all of you! I am so thankful for some of the sweetest women on our list who took the time to write to me. Many of you wrote who had never written before. I really needed your kind words of encouragement. Again, I thank you and wish so much that I could respond individually to each one of you. I surely read each letter and felt so edified by your uplifting words of encouragement.
The LORD met me in His Word concerning the critical spirits that come at us every now and then, especially so it seems when we are pouring ourselves out for Him. Do you remember the woman who anointed Jesus with the costly oil of spikenard before his death on the cross?
"And being in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at the table, a woman came having an alabaster flask of very costly oil of spikenard. Then she broke the flask and poured it on His Head." Mark 14:4 
So beautiful, isn't it? Then the next verse begins...
"But..."
Uh-oh, always pay attention to that little word.
"But there were some who were indignant among themselves, and said, 'Why was this fragrant oil wasted? For it might have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.' And they criticized her sharply." Mark 14:5

"And they criticized her sharply."
Oooh,I can imagine how she must have felt. I've fallen in love with The King. I only want to pour out everything on Him. I so want to see Him greatly honored. I pray so often that my life might be the sweetest incense rising up to His Throne of Grace. So I pour out. I can only see My King and His Beautiful Face. Then surprisingly I am misunderstood and sharp words come my way. Those sharp words can sound so right on, too, can't they?
How should one deal with them?
You know what I learned? I don't have to deal with them! It was so freeing to see this in the Word of God. The LORD will deal with them for me. Just as He did for this woman.
"But Jesus said, 'Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me. For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always. She has done what she could." Mark 14:6-8
"She has done what she could."
That is exactly what I need to keep doing.
This reminds me of another passage where another woman was also so misunderstood.
"And Martha had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus' Feet and heard His Word." Luke 10:39
Then the next verse begins...
"But..."
There's that little word again!
"But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, 'LORD, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me." Luke 10:40 Please notice that you do not hear a word from Mary, just as you did not hear a word from the woman who anointed Jesus. Both women are blessedly silent. Can I say that again? Both women are blessedly silent. Isn't that wise? Not that they weren't hurt and embarrassed at their public upbraiding. But notice this, it is their LORD Who speaks in their defense. How I need to remember this when I am also unjustly criticized and misunderstood. I need to be blessedly silent and let the LORD speak in my defense. This is what the LORD so graciously taught me in my time of need from this passage. May I never forget it. 
"And Jesus answered and said to her,' Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42
" Mary has chosen that good part."
"She has done what she could."
What beautiful, beautiful Words to live by!
I get up early every morning to soak, soak up His Precious, Life changing Words. And then I do what I can every day through His will and by His power. I am not my own. He is all Mine, and I am all His.
I really love writing to you all. My heart beats to help you with the help He has given me. God willing, I am coming back to writing more often to you all very soon. Someone wrote to me and wondered if I was enjoying my sabbatical break so much for the critical spirits were silent. I have to admit that it's been blessedly peaceful until I wrote the letter on the Flylady. And, yes, my first reaction was to defend myself, then run and hide for I even had a critical spirit staying in my home at that time. Then the LORD gave me this beautiful direction from His Word that I have just shared with you. He'll deal with the critical spirits! I must continue to pour out for Him.
You know what?
I can't stop. He is altogether too beautiful. He is altogether too lovely. I can't stop thinking about Him. I can't stop thanking Him. I can't stop praising Him. And my heart beats to help other women come to this place.
Next month I will be speaking twice on organization to the young moms at our church. Can you believe that? Is not the LORD a Miracle Worker? I told you He was. ~Smile~ This summer has been incredible as I have been practicing what I've been learning for so long. But do you know my true reason for speaking? Do you know what my true reason for writing to you? It is to draw you close to Jesus. It is to bring glory to His Holy Name. This is the foundation of my speaking and my writing. It is the foundation of my homekeeping. It is the foundation of my life. Everything else that I share with you is built on this foundation: clinging to Christ.
There's a revival going on in my heart, that has spread to my home, that has spread to those He brings me alongside of. Even to this e-mail fence. I used to feel I had to share my faith out of guilt, for this is what I was supposed to be doing for Him. I was nervous and anxious about many things in my life. My thoughts centered around my frailties rather than faith in His power. Then He brought me to the end of myself and the blessed beginning of Him. I started to fall in love with my Saviour as never before through His Living Word. I began to spend time with Him in prayer and the reading of His Word on a daily basis. I dropped the world more and more out of my life. He began to clean out my hard heart. It got softer and softer. Oh, how I begged Him for His love and His grace in my life. To love as He loves with His Spirit moving in me. It meant 
more to me than being right all the time. For I learned through 1 Corinthians 13 that one can be as right as rain, but have no love. Then it means nothing. Oh, how I want His love working through me. It means everything to me.
And that's the problem with criticism. Those words lack love. Oh, they might even be right as rain, but one wants to run in the opposite direction of the one speaking or sending them. As the Word states, "Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies." So often those words are without action as well. More often than not these past four years of writing I would receive a critical letter from someone who has been receiving my letters for some time, even a year or two. However, I had never heard a word from them until they feel the need to write and let me know very pointedly of something I've done wrong in their eyes.
Oh, we do the same thing with our own spouses and children, don't we? We miss the many opportunities to say thank you and bless you, but we don't miss a wink to tell them what they've done wrong. No wonder they want to run from us at times. How about our pastors and their wives and children? I feel so sorry for them. They have such a difficult job, but I am afraid they may often hear more criticism than thanksgiving. Those voices always seem to ring the loudest. What about Jesus? He spoke some very directive words. However they were spoken in great love. The multitudes thronged to be with Him. The critics were the ones that wanted to silence Him. Yet even His actions spoke great love. He laid down His life on the cross that we might live. His Words had loving actions behind them. They were not for criticism, they were for our edification. Critical words chip down. Edifying Words build up accompanied with loving actions. There is a big difference between the two. That is why the people flocked to be with Jesus and followed Him everywhere. They would eventually give their lives to Him to see His Kingdom built up, just as He had given His life for them.
This is what I am learning in my own life and in my own home: "Sweetness of lips increaseth learning."
"A gracious woman retaineth honor."
"A gentle and quiet spirit is precious in His sight."

Have I arrived? Oh, not by a long shot. But I'm learning to walk by His Spirit and not fulfill the desires of the flesh. For His Spirit gives life and peace. And I love walking that way!
"And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know. But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him." 1 Corinthians 8:2

It's been a great summer. I'm now in my "Summer Finale." We have seven children in the house for two weeks. We've added three little girls for a short time. I told them that they're all in "Laine's Summer Adventure Camp." ~Smile~ So I've been loving them, teaching them, and training them along with my own children since they arrived last Thursday. I'd love to share with you all what we've been learning together. So far it's been a great time. And I'm still flying with my Flylady routines! God is so good.
The sabbatical has been very good. It's been a clipping and trimming of my branches, of sorts, and I pray for more of His fruit in my life. I'm terribly behind on the letters in my full inbox, but my family has never been more content. God is so good. I love His priorities and His ways. I look forward to writing again to you all. And I so appreciate your prayers for this ministry. Will the critical spirits come my way? Oh, yes. When you pour out for the LORD, you're bound to attract them. But I understand now what to do as His chosen woman. I'm going to let my LORD deal with them.
You'll find me blessedly silent, but very busy loving Christ. It's really the only way to fly!
Love,
Laine 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker