A Baking Center


Dear Beth,
You are a sweetheart, like so many of the women on this loop. I can see your gentle heart through your posts. ~Smile~ You asked about setting up a baking center. I did that a few years ago. It helps so much because I can cook something up from scratch as fast as I use to do with a mix. The key is having everything right at hand.
Here is my baking center:
It is in a corner of my kitchen with a light overhead. (My husband did that for me. It sure is a big help.) To the left of my corner is my kitchenaid mixer all ready to go, and my grain grinder all ready to go as well. (I don't share as much about grain grinding as I am still in the learning stages, so I tend to be a "gleaner" here. I enjoyed Grace's post on grinding grain. I love to read how much healthier it is for you. I am easing my family into whole wheat baked goods, and getting excited about all that I'm learning.)
In the cupboard up on my left is where I keep my flours. I have all my flours in the old-fashioned cookie jars with the silver lids and red knobs. They are easy to use. I have pastry flour, wheat flour, and two bread flours in there. I also have my baking soda and my baking powder in old Ball blue canning jars. One is bigger than the other, so I can tell them apart. In this cupboard is some little bowls for mixing, a flour sifter, and a plastic juicer.
At my left thigh is my drawer which holds all my spices. At my right thigh is the drawer that holds all my measuring cups, rolling pin, pizza cutter, measuring spoons, and other various baking aids. This drawer is open a lot! I keep lots of sets of measuring cups and spoons, so that I can find the right size fast. I buy them at the thrift shop.
Directly in front of me is the area I do my kneading and mixing. In the corner I have my brown sugar and my honey in big glass jars with heavy glass lids. (The ants tried to get in there today, nope, they didn't succeed. ~Smile~) I also have this little green shelf that I bought at a thrift shop and did a little decoupage on, to the left of my honey jar. It has the spices that I use the most often on it. It lies flat up against the wall, so it doesn't take up much space.
In the cupboard above my kneading and mixing area is where I keep olive oil, vinegar, and extracts or flavorings. Also any other larger items for baking. I have my cake pans, bread pans, pie pans, and such all within reach. So I am able to put together something rather quickly. I also keep my favorite recipes taped on the inside of the cupboard, with my favorite bread recipes tucked up on a little shelf for quick access. My favorite cookbook (one that I put together myself for my family) is also tucked on the shelf for quick access.
I hope this is of some help, Beth!
Love, 

Laine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker