When a Christian Acts Like the World

Dear Sisters,
I have received many letters concerning my son's dismay on not finding one Christian teenager at his Bible study to stand with him against the vile movies so many are watching today. Including Christians. Including their children. We have become so much like the people of our culture that it is hard to distinguish between a Christian and a non-Christian these days. Especially with regard to what we're willing to view and hear.
I told my son that I especially find it so sad that people in other countries are willing to give up their lives for Christ, but here in America we can't even give up vile movies. You know what I've determined? We really don't know the LORD. For when you know the LORD, there is no way, no how, that you can sit and listen to His Name, the Name above all names, being blasphemed and spit out as though it were the most shamed thing on earth. It would cause you too much pain. Especially when you have a choice to watch and listen to it or not. Especially when you are using the money he has provided you with as His steward. Oh, I keep praying, "May God help us."
"Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame." 1 Corinthians 15:34
"Do not be deceived; 'Evil company corrupts good habits.' " 1 Corinthians 15:33
There was one righteous, complacent man in Scripture. We can learn a lot from him. It almost seems as though righteousness and complacency don't go together, do they? But as we will see from the Word of God, they did go hand in hand in this man. Yet he paid a terrible price for it. His name was Lot.
"And if He rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)... 2 Peter 2:7-8
There is no doubt that Lot was a righteous man. Peter says so. But living among filthy, lawless men had its effect on him, and especially on his family. For we know that Lot was willing to cast his daughters out to satisfy the most evil of men depicted in the Bible located in the city of Sodom.
"So Lot went out to them through the doorway, shut the door behind him, and said, "Please, my brethren, do not do so wickedly! See now, I have two daughters who have not known a man; please, let me bring them out to you, and you may do to them as you wish; only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come under the shadow of my roof." Genesis 19:6
Hard to believe this is a righteous man, isn't it? I sure "feel" for his daughters. I cannot imagine this kind of protection from my father. Especially a father that is supposed to be a righteous man. For up until that day, Scripture states, he had been tormented in his righteous soul for the lawless deeds he saw and heard in Sodom. Now they are at his door ready to do more, and Lot is willing to cast his own daughters out to satisfy this disgusting mob. It is one of the saddest forms of conformity on the pages of the Word of God.
In our society we are now beginning to see some of Sodom entering our own homes. It's coming through our television screens. And countless youths are growing up on it. Even in Christian homes. It is a conformity with a wicked culture that comes with a high price. Lot paid this price.
"Then Lot went up out of Zoar and dwelt in the mountains, and his two daughters were with him; for he was afraid to dwell in Zoar. And he and his two daughters dwelt in a cave. Now the firstborn said to the younger, 'Our father is old, and there is no man on the earth to come in to us as is the custom of all the earth. Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve the lineage of our father.' " Genesis 19: 30-32
Hard to believe, isn't it? But you see, when one has seen evil after evil after evil with a complacent and conforming eye, then one can justify just about anything. Lot could justify giving his daughters to a band of evil men for he was saving the lives of those men who had come under his roof for protection. And his daughters could justify getting their father drunk and sleeping with him because there weren't any men left in their eyes to carry on their father's lineage. Both scenes are so disgusting to us. But Lot and his daughters thought they were doing what they "had to do." It was "right" in their own eyes. Their father did not protect them, and they did not respect their father. The high price of conformity. It's a life apart from God's protection and power. The evils that they had viewed and heard time and time again now brought about their own evil justifications. What else could they do in the circumstances... or so they thought.
" Thus both the daughters of Lot were with child by their father." Genesis 19:36
It is just about one of the saddest sentences concerning two women in Scripture. And it is the result of a righteous man who was also very, very conforming and complacent. He lost everything. His wife. His home. And even his dignity. His descendants were known for their evil as they were the Moabites and the Ammonites who would give the Israelites no short amount of grief.
Yes, Lot was a righteous man tormented in his soul living among men who were lawless and terribly evil, but he had no effect on them. Rather they had an effect on him and his family. He who once lived outside of Sodom when he left Abraham, his uncle, now lived right in Sodom when the angels visited him, even as one of its leaders in its gates.
"Do not be deceived; 'Evil company corrupts good habits." 1 Corinthians 15:33
I am convinced that one is complacent and conforming because one does not know their Savior as He truly is nor do they love Him with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength. For Abraham knew God. Abraham loved God. Abraham believed God. And Abraham lived a life totally the opposite of his nephew, Lot. He was also a righteous man. But we want to name our children after Abraham. What is the difference between the men?
Well, for one thing, Abraham abstained from Sodom. So much so that he would not even take one sandal strap from the king of Sodom after he had rescued Lot and them from a raid on their land.
"Now the king of Sodom said to Abram, 'Give me the persons, and take the good for yourself.' "
"But Abram said to the king of Sodom, 'I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, the Possessor of Heaven and earth, that I will take nothing, from a thread to a sandal strap, and that I will not take anything that is yours, lest you should say, 'I have made Abram rich.' " Genesis 14:22-23
"Abstain from every appearance of evil."
Abraham wanted no part of Sodom, nor any part of its riches. He was well aware of their evil doings, and he would not be any part of it. Unfortunately, his nephew Lot did not feel the same. This, I believe, was Lot's perfect opportunity to leave Sodom and follow the wisdom of separation spoken from his uncle. But Lot went right back in to the evil city. He suffered terribly for it.
Today we have choices to make too, don't we? I'm finding out that those choices are terribly important as well. For there are dire consequences when we do not cling to the LORD and follow Him wholeheartedly.
Years ago I was wallowing in conformity and complacency. When I came back to the LORD wholeheartedly, I wanted no more of this world's junk. I put away the soap operas, the racy television shows, the ugly movies, the torrid romance novels, the wasteful music, and the empty women's magazines. I began to get into the Word of God every day. Every day. Just as I had time to view junk, now I made time for my Living LORD. He has taken all that torrid waste out of my mind, and I am so thankful, so very thankful to this day. Instead He has filled my mind with His thoughts and His promises. I have asked Him to help me love Him with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength and to love others as myself. I have asked Him to help me captivate every thought and make it give up and obey Him. It has been awesome to watch Him work in my heart and in the hearts of my loved ones. It has been just awesome!
"But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him." 1 Corinthians 8:1
"I will set nothing wicked before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not cling to me." Psalm 101:3
"I will walk within my house with a perfect heart." Psalm 101:2a
"He who works deceit shall not dwell within my house; he who tells lies shall not continue in my presence." Psalm 101:7
My relationship with God is so beautiful now. So cherishing. So precious. I can't tell you enough that it is worth everything in the world to give up the "waste" and cling to Him wholeheartedly. He has filled me with such joy. He has given me such strength. He has filled me with such love.
"Blessed is the 'woman' who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but 'her' delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law 'she' meditates day and night." Psalm 1:1-2
Now am I saying that if you watch vile movies you are going to end up like Lot did? Well, yes, it could be. Not exactly his story mind you, but we must understand that we can't dwell with evil day after day, getting a little bit closer, viewing a little worse and worse in conformity and not become affected by it. Nor can our children. Lot didn't escape it. Nor did his wife. Nor did his daughters. They all suffered, even though their headship is counted as a righteous man in Scripture. Why?
"If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire." 1 Corinthians 3:15
The high price of conformity.
Everything is going up in smoke around you.
Lot knew this. I pray we will do the opposite.
May God help us!
Love,
Laine

Comments

  1. Jen, thank you so very much for archiving Laine's Letters. I read this as a young mom and they were so helpful. I wish she was still writing. Is there a way to contact Laine?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker