Saving Money in the Home- 1

Dear Sisters,
Hi! Yes, the house is really paid off. I received the deed from our bank a few days ago and posted it on the refrigerator with the words, "Paid In Full! Praise God!" It is such a miracle. I know many of you are struggling with tight finances. We have lived with tight finances all of our 24 years of marriage. My husband's take home pay is $29,000 a year with six people living in our household (and a lot of guests ~Smile~), yet for many years it was much less than that. We only live on his income. I know some of you live on even less. In our area of Southern California, our income is considered a low middle income wage. However, I feel so rich.
Over and over again the LORD has taught me so much that I would have never learned had our finances not been tight. And I wouldn't have been able to help other women as well. It has been my pleasure to encourage so many struggling in their finances, because I know that struggle. I also feel that the LORD is teaching my children some valuable lessons as well in all of this. Isn't it interesting that God chose to put His Son into a family with tight finances, too, when He walked on this earth? I find His ways so fascinating.
Now when I find my budget tighter than usual, I think, "No matter how tight it is, all our debts are paid in full!" It is such a good feeling. I was thinking this very thing recently when the LORD let me realize that, "No matter how many struggles in my life, all my sinful debt is paid in full at the cross!" Yes! That is better than financial debt paid off and so very freeing. I'm just in love with my LORD and desire so much to please Him.
"For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the Kingdom of The Son He loves, in Whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." Colossions 1:13-14
"He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations that was against us: He took it away, nailing it to the cross." Colossions 2:14
I am going to try to share with you in this letter as much help as I can the myriad of ways we saved money on my husband's income to pay off this house in 17 years. I have been a full time homemaker for 22 years out of our 24 years of marriage, so it is just my husband's income that we've primarily lived on. Some women write to me and think I have a job, because I often mention "my job". Well, presently, homemaking is it! Art brings home the money, and I do my best to stretch it and/or multiply it through the myriad of ways that the LORD teaches me. I call it "Home Economics". I'm in the business of stretching my husband's income and making this home cozy, comforting, and clean. It makes for a full time job for me. ~Smile~ I've learned that the more I learn to save, the busier I am at it. That is why Proverbs 31 makes so much sense to me now. That woman is some saver and stretcher in my eyes, which explains why she is so very busy building her home in so many ways.
I am also going to try to explain why we did some of the things we did. Many of them are Biblical reasons, which we learned to take God at His Word and put into practice. Sometimes it was very hard...many times it was very hard. But the LORD is faithful and keeps showing us the way. My motto is, "Pray and Pay, Pray and Pay" , especially on our last debt now paid off - our house.
Presently we are praying to put our sons through college debt free. So far, Quincy, my oldest, has paid for all of his college out of his own pocket. He sold a car the year before to pay for two classes at Bible college in 2003. This semester he worked five weeks as a welder to pay for a full load at Bible college. It was very hard work for him. But as my grandmother says, "Where there's a will, there's a way." And I add, "With God all things are possible, and He'll show us the way!"
I could see in Scripture years ago the value of a trade and being able to fall back on it. I prayed a trade in for each of my sons. Now Quincy used his welding trade to pay for Bible school, as well as keeping up with teaching piano to 15 students. Brady is working three jobs and was able to pay for half of his Bible schooling. Next semester he will pay for all of his schooling and may have to use his welding trade to do that as well. How thankful I am that they both have a trade to fall back on. God is so good!
As Abbie is entering into her teens now, with only a couple of months until her 14th birthday, we were praying about putting her in a cooking assistant program which would have earned her a certificate as a chef's assistant in about two years. But she was too young for the program, so I continue to teach her cooking here at home. She wants to learn the skills of a pastry chef. God's timing and plan in it all. Jesus never fails!
Gabe is taking drum lessons as of last year. He's doing really well. My father was a professional drummer for years, and it seems his grandson has "his beat". It's a noisier practice than piano and guitar, but worth it. I hope the neighbors feel that way as well. ~Smile~
Well, that's a bit of what has been going on in my home. Now here is as much help as I can think of to give you concerning "Home Economics" which we have practiced for years in our home and aided us in paying off our house in 17 years:
1~ Tithe the first of our income - as soon as it comes in. This is the foundation of our money.
"Honor the LORD with your wealth, and with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine." Proverbs 3:9-10
We had a hard time with this when we first began tithing, and it was hit or miss whether we tithed or gave. We definitely had a "purse with holes in it" as described in Malachi for those who do not put God first in their finances. We then got serious and gave regularly. God sewed up the holes in our purse. All our kids tithe regularly and have for years. We just don't want them to go through what we did on our finances before we learned to put God first. So we've taught them how to tithe, how to give, how to save, and how to spend their money wisely as they've grown up. It's amazing to see how they handle their money. I am so grateful to God for teaching us first, and now them.
"Bring all your tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in Mine House, and prove Me now herewith, saith the LORD of Hosts, if I will not open you the Windows of Heaven and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." Malachi 3:10
Philippians 4:14-19
2 Corinthians 9:5-14
2~ Give to the poor and those that are in need every month, as well as the spreading of the gospel. I always preach this to my kids. A generous man will be blessed, the Bible says. I help my husband to be a generous man, which he is. One of the ways I help him to give is to be content with the things that I have so that we are able to give.
"Godliness with contentment is great gain."
"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Luke 7:38
"She extends her hands to the poor. Yes, she reaches out her hands to the needy." Proverbs 31:20
"He who has pity on the poor lends to the LORD, and He will pay back what he has given." Proverbs 19:17
"There is one who scatters, yet increases more; and there is one who withholds more than is right, but it leads to poverty." Proverbs 11:24
"He who gives to the poor will not lack. But he who hides his eyes will have many curses." Proverbs 28:27

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker