Loving our Husbands in our Homes

Dear Homemakers of God,
"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the Word of God." Titus 2:3-5
So nice to be with you all again in this beautiful, beautiful verse. We've been talking about loving our husbands. Today I'd like to talk about loving our husband in our home. Our home is our haven. No one can make a home "a home" like a woman can. She is the heart of the home as Psalms 128:3 says:
"Your wife shall be like the fruitful vine in the very heart of your house; your children like olive plants all around your table." This is the blessing of everyone who fears the LORD and walks in His ways. (128:1)
The wife is in the very heart of the house. Her heart beats for her home. No one can replace this woman, because no one knows that man of hers like she does or those children that she is working with day in and day out. She is the fragrant oil that keeps everyone and everything running smoothly. Therefore when her husband is away from the home working, she is his representative. She is one with him and represents his authority throughout the day. She is the manager of his children and his home bearing much fruit (through her LORD's strength) which he realizes when he sits at his table every night. This is God's blessing on him.
My husband grew up in a household rife with gambling, drinking, drugs, and ugly language. Most nights he stayed outside to escape from his father's anger stealing into a bed made on the floor of the living room from the couch cushions. (He never had his own bedroom.) He doesn't like to talk about his childhood, but the LORD reminds me of it often. So when God gave this man to me, I decided I would do my best to make his life with me the opposite of his childhood.
I have tried to make our bedroom the most attractive room in the house. We have always lived on a budget, but I have enjoyed fixing up our bedroom as attractive as possible from garage sales, swap meets, or thrift shops. Our bedroom is the only room in our house decorated Victorian as I find that to be so peaceful and slightly elegant. I have stenciled the top of the room with dark greens, rose, and gold designs as this is the design in our antique carpet covering the floor. Our queen size bed has a rose covered feather blanket with the finest sheets (220 thread count and up) that money can buy at the thrift shop! A pink and white dust ruffle runs around the bottom of the bed with the matching covers on the pillows and an old baby's quilt laying in the middle. A very beautiful old rose quilt (bought at swap meet for 50 cents) is on the wall behind the bed. To the left of the room is a white wicker couch and a white wicker chair covered with old pink and white blankets. (Both of these were bought at a garage sale for $10.)
An old mannequin once used for sewing now stands in the corner by my husband's dresser with an antique dress from the 40's on it and my wedding hat on top. By my dresser is a rose antique vanity table adorned with an antique bridal veil on the mirror and matching chair. On it I have all kinds of feminine things including a gold hat stand with an old pink hat. Nearby is a small tea table set up with all kinds of tea things for evening tea. My window is covered in old pieces of lace picked up here and there and fashioned together into a soft window frame. Near the window is a very old box that hangs on the wall and houses a miniature dress shop above an old general store with all the little parts that go to it. ( I bought this at a thrift shop for $15. My children love to look at it and move things around.) And lots of old hats, gloves, hat boxes, and the like add to the flavor of the room.
When my husband and I go to our room at night, it is to the most peaceful room in the house. It is like going to a mini retreat. We often have soft music playing with soft lighting from the old lamps that light up the room. There are lots of fluffy pillows to sit up and read by with a basket of books next to each side of the bed. Many people need to get away from their kids to a hotel. We only need to go to our bedroom.
My daughter "sighs contentedly" when she comes into our room. She wants her room to look like ours, so I have been working to make her room a special retreat. (I wrote about it recently in the Titus 2 digest.) I understand her feminine heart that will one day make her home a haven for her husband and children. For as Shakespeare once said, "For where is any author in the world teaches such beauty as the woman's eye?"
As women we have the pleasure of making our homes special havens for those who live with us. I have worked very hard as my home was so disorganized for years and my excuse was, "I am just not creative." This was a sentence that preceded a lot of time being wasted and squashing my teachability in the process. I now feel such joy in making my home as peaceful as possible for my husband, especially in our bedroom. I have not finished learning how to do that, rather I delight in everything the LORD teaches me as He is The Creator and I am His Student. I must never say I am not creative for I was created by The Creator and can learn so much from following Him.
So nice chatting with you again.
Love,
Laine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker