When the unexpected threatens our plans for the day

Dear Chosen Women of God,
"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the Word of God." Titus 2:3-5
Today I want to talk about flexibility. It might seem like the opposite of discipline, but actually it is quite an important part of discipline. For I find that if I am only concentrating on discipline and not being flexible, I can easily become quite stiff and unbending. I use to be too flexible many years ago spending far too much time yakking on the phone, or shopping, or in front of the t.v., and not getting my work done until I was in a mad dash just before my husband came home. Then I went the other direction and had everything written down with the times that they were to be done driving me to no small distraction, as I always had one eye on the clock and resented any interruption whatsoever in my perfectly planned day.
What I learned...the hard way...was that I needed to go to the LORD at the beginning of my day for His Direction, not mine. I put myself at His Disposal as I am His Servant. I ask that He might orchestrate all my moments for His Glory. I cannot tell you the change this has made in my life as I have learned to lean against Him for all the details of my day. I walk in His Peace as it is His Day. I make no claims on it. I do my best at His Direction.
Over and over again I will say, "for the love of Jesus" as I work for Him. And if I cannot do things the way I planned due to sickness or an urgent phone call, I lean against His Direction. He knows best how my day should go. It is not that I make no plans, but I ask for everything in His Will. Today, for example, I had plans to do some errands and to get a little more cleaning done. My friend needed me to watch her son, so I scratched the errands. My folks just got back from Mexico and have been delighting me with all their missionary stories, so my cleaning was put on hold as I spent more time with them.
It is such a pleasure to go to bed at night knowing that I have walked peacefully with Him through all my day. Sometimes I didn't get my plans done, but I know His Plans were accomplished for it has been my joy to work for Him and through Him. It never ceases to amaze me how He leads me so delightfully. Last week, for example, I felt I should make a couple dozen oatmeal muffins. To my surprise, soon after I pulled out the last dozen from the oven, my aunt and uncle called to me from my living room door. They live in Oregon! I had no idea they were in California, but the LORD knew. My uncle sat down as I was brewing his coffee saying, "I knew we were going to get something good at your table." I thanked the LORD for His leading. He knows so well what my day will hold, and it is such a pleasure walking with Him at His Pace and at His Direction.
Discipline plus flexibility equals servanthood for The Master. And there is nothing like being a Servant of the LORD. Each day is so unique, just as each of His Children is so unique. I ask Him that I might enjoy everything that He has planned for me in this day devoted to Him. Such a pleasant way to serve, especially when the unexpected comes up. And the unexpected always comes up! I know my LORD is ready for it, and I walk with an ear bent toward Him and hands moving in rhythm at His Pace.
Love,
Laine
"I love you, LORD, my strength." Psalms 18:1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker