Grandmothers scrapbook

Dear Sisters,
My mother unearthed my great grandmother's scrapbook today. It is an old green, tattered, travel book that she pasted some of her favorite sayings, poems, a little, handmade valentine from my grandfather to her, and other odds and ends. Of course, it was a treasure for me to read. Most all of the pasted entries are from the newspaper or a magazine, so everything is yellowed with age. As I looked at the dates, I found that the oldest was 1935. It was interesting to see what women read at that time and how it must have affected their way of thinking. I thought you might also like to see what my great grandmother considered valuable, so much so that she pasted it into this old travel journal to keep for herself, her daughter, her granddaughter, her great granddaughter, and now her great, great granddaughter, my Abbie.
Here are some of my great grandmother's treasures for you:
The Happiest Time of A Woman's Life
by Frances H. Lee
What' s the happiest time of a woman's life?
Is it her schoolgirl days
When thoughts and hopes half-formed are rife
Amid her glad wild ways?
Ah! No, not then.
The happiest time is yet to come - but when?
What's the happiest time of a woman's life?
Is it her virgin prime,
When love awakes, ere she's a wife,
Is it that golden time?
Ah! No, not then.
A happier time is coming yet - but when?
What's the happiest time of a woman's life?
Is it her wedding day,
When vows are pledged, and as a wife
She's bound to him for aye?
Say, is it then?
Ah! No, not yet; the time is coming. When?
The happiest time of a woman's life?
Ah! It has come at last;
For, hark! I hear a little voice,
And footsteps toddling fast;
And the happiest hours, I know, are these,
When the children are playing about her knees."
********************
"Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house; thy children like olive plants round thy table."
Psalm 128:3
********************
Mother's Day Poem (Author Not Given)
I have worshipped in churches and chapels;
I have prayed in the busy street;
I have sought my God and have found Him
Where the waves of the ocean beat.
I have knelt in the silent forests,
In the shade of some ancient tree;
But the dearest of all my altars
Was raised at my mother's knee.
I have listened to God in His temples;
I have caught His Voice in the crowd;
I have heard Him speak when the breakers
Were booming long and loud.
Where the winds play soft in the tree tops
My Father has talked to me;
But I never have heard Him clearer
Than I did at my mother's knee.
The things in my life that are worthy
Were born in my mother's breast
And breathed into mine by the magic
Of the love her life exprest.
The years that have brought me to manhood
Have not taken her from me;
And that has kept me from straying
Too far from my mother's knee.
God make me the man of her vision
And purge me of selfishness!
God keep me true to her standards
And help me to live to bless!
God hallow the holy impress
Of the days that used to be,
And keep me a pilgrim forever
To the shrine at my mother's knee.
**************************
"Forsake not the law of thy mother." Proverbs 1:8b
Every wise woman buildeth her house." Proverbs 14:1a
**************************
A Man To His Wife
        by Anne Campbell
You have lost the blue of your eyes,
The gold of your hair.
The light I had grown to prize
No longer is there.
Your brow, so unwrinkled before,
Is careworn and lined,
And the shadow you cast on the floor
Is broad and resigned.
Your hands that were slender and white
Are toilworn and rough.
Time has been cruel in his flight,
And his toll is enough.
But the girl that I married is there,
Behind that brave gaze.
To me she will ever be fair
Down Time's changing ways.
For in service to me she has lost
Her young happy years.
For our children 'twas she paid the cost
In ill health and tears.
Her beauty for love she has spent.
Her life's loyalty
Was in payment of love's sacrament-
And she did it for me!
***********************
"The gray head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness."
Proverbs 16:31
"A prudent wife is from the LORD." Proverbs 19:14b
***********************
Remedy For Arthritis
Dear T. M. C.  - After reading your letter in regard to your husband's having arthritis, I hasten to send you help, which I am pretty sure if faithfully followed will cure him, as it did my husband, as much older man. My husband was badly crippled with arthritis; he was on crutches and had to be helped. Was given this simple cure and is well and never loses one day from work. The easy way to prepare it is the way we started first, so I will give it to you. Into a pint preserve jar put the juice of 1 lemon, 3 tablespoons level of Rochelle salts. Now fill the jar with cold water. Take about a wineglassful three times a day before meals. Now get some pure olive oil and bathe the parts of the back or the other sore places morning and night, warming it a little. Do this faithfully and I hope it will help. Will you let me know how you get along or if I can help more?  Sebago, Maine
***************************
"The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life."
Proverbs 31:10-11
****************************
The most luscious dinner is dust and ashes in our mouth if we eat it alone, while bread and cheese becomes a banquet in gay and joyous company. A palace becomes a bleak prison if its silence is broken by no voice but one's own, but two who love (my great grandmother underlined these last three words) can make heaven of a single room. To travel by one's self is to be a wayfarer solitary and lonely, but there is a never-ending joy in the journey we take with pleasant people.
And when the storms of misfortune break above our heads our only comfort is in our friends - in the hands that are stretched out to us in the dark - in the knowledge that our sorrow is the sorrow of those who love us - and in the practical help that comes from those who set us on our feet again when we stumble and fall. No grief is so bitter as that which weeps alone, with none to pity, none to succor.
Now, friends are neither an accident, nor the gift of God. They are our own handiwork. We make them, or lose them, according to whether we are friendly, and kindly, and generous and helpful to others, or whether we, selfishly and morosely, live to ourselves.
We should, then, teach our children from their cradles to lay up friendship, just as we teach them to save their pennies, in order that they may be rich in their old age. For friends are the most valuable assets, financially and spiritually, that we can have.
(Author Not Given)
*******************
"Faithful are the wounds of a friend." Proverbs 27:6
"A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."
Proverbs 17:17
*******************
Knitted Shoulderette
Dear Bowl Ivy - Were you the sister who asked for directions for shoulderette? I have made several and will try to tell you how they are made. With ordinary steel knitting needles, cast on 50 stitches, knit across plain, then knit 2 and purl 2 until the piece is about 3 inches long. This is the cuff. Now take large knitting needles and knit right on taking the stitches from the steel needle, knit plain the desired length, measure from the wrist with each arm extended to the other wrist and that will give you the length, but remember it will stretch and you will have to allow for that. Now with the steel needles knit 3 more inches to make the other cuff, and you have your shoulderette. I usually sew more than the cuff which makes a little sleevelike and stay on better. The larger your wooden or celluloid needles the wider your garment will be. After it is done I usually take a crochet needle and crochet a small scallop all around that makes it look finished.
I have mislaid the paper which had the request, but think it was you who asked for it. Won't you send me your favorite recipe? Lady Mary
*******************
"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands."
Proverbs 31:13
"And all the women that were wise-hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of
scarlet, and of fine linen. And all the women whose heart stirred them up in wisdom spun goats' hair." Exodus 35:25-26
*******************
Two Viewpoints
by Anne Campbell
Two men sat in the drugstore on a snowy Wintry day.
It was a pure white world, only the sky was gray.
One said: "In the South the weather is like June;
Men are playing gold there this very afternoon.
"The Spanish moss hangs on the live oak trees;
The nightingales sing joyous melodies.
"The lazy ocean is hugging the shore.
The sand in the sun is a golden floor.
"To be there today would be such bliss!"
          "What?" said the other man, "And leave all this?"
****************
"But godliness with contentment is great gain." 1 Timothy 6:6
****************
Hate (Author unknown)
Hate is like a little weed,
It grows and grows and grows,
'With every little ugly deed,
It grows and grows and grows,
When in the garden of your heart
It once had gained a start,
It crowds out every blossom fair
That gentle love has planted there,
And grows and grows and grows.
**************
"Hatred stirreth up strifes, but love covereth all sins." Proverbs 10:12
"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the LORD."
Hebrews 12:14
***************
Where's Mother? (Author not given)
When father came from work at night,
Before he'd wash his hands and face,
Or hang his hat upon the peg,
His glance would wander 'round the place,
And if dear mother's sunny head
Was not within his vision's ken
He'd search for her from room to room,
Upstairs and down and all, and then
He'd stop and ask,
              "Where's mother?"
But if he found her in her chair,
He'd potter off about the lot,
And pick a mess of early greens,
Or fix a chicken for the pot;
He'd mend a fence, or set a hen,
Or do some other homely chore,
With only now and then a glance
Toward the half-open kitchen door
That seemed to ask,
                  "Where's mother?"
When mother left us sorrowing
He followed her within a day;
And while we laid white flowers around
His smooth-brushed hair, as white as they,
We could but think that when the light
And beauty of that wondrous place,
Burst on his newly-quickened gaze,
He must have raised an eager face
And simply asked:
               "Where's mother?"
**********************
"Her children arise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest
them all." Proverbs 31:28-29
**********************
Dear Miss Dix,
Three years ago I left a good home and position to marry an only son. My husband's mother lives with us. She is 75 and crippled. She is sweet and easy to get along with, but she makes me very unhappy because she never lets us have a minute alone together. In the morning she comes down to breakfast just to be with him and then she goes back to bed. When friends drop in in the evenings mother holds the floor for half an hour at a time, telling the same old stories over and over again. My friends have made remarks about this and when I told my husband about it he said, "Oh, let her stay up. She enjoys it and she only has a few more years to live." I am so unhappy that I think I will take my baby and leave.
SAD MOTHER AND WIFE
                                                           Answer
Well, if that is all you have to be sad about, you should be down on your knees thanking God for your happiness instead of cluttering up this column with your wails.
If your mother-in-law was mean and bossy and hateful to get along with, and if she was trying to separate you from your husband, you would have just reason for complaint. But she is none of these things. She is a sweet, gentle, crippled old lady who only wants a little of the society of the son she adores and a little of the companionship of you and your husband and your friends.
Aren't you a big enough woman to look at the situation from her point of view and see how pitiful a thing it is for the old to have to warm themselves at another person's fire, and borrow their happiness from others? Just consider how poor she is, crippled and old and feeble, the sands in her glass running low, her hands empty and idle, nothing to do, nothing to look forward to, nothing more to hope or plan for, no interest except in her son.
And you are so rich. You have the son, whose love for you is so much greater than his affection for his mother. You have your child. You have your home. You have youth and friends and a million interests that keep your mind and your heart and your hands busy, and a long and rosy future stretching before you. Can you not out of your wealth spare a little understanding, a little patience to this forlorn?
What if she does bore your friends by being garrulous and telling the same old stories? Her happiness is far more to be considered than their being entertained. Besides, they need a lesson in human sympathy and forbearance just as much as you do. And they might all remember that some day they also will be old and tedious and need to call upon the patience of the young.
I cannot believe that you are a poor enough sport seriously to consider leaving a good husband, breaking up your home and orphaning your child for no better reason than that his old mother had got upon your nerves.  If you do this, you are a quitter and a coward and your husband will have a right to be glad to be rid of a wife who was made of such poor material that she couldn't take it.
My advice to you is to brace up and snap out of the maudlin state of mind you have got into. Quit being sorry for yourself. Dry your eyes and smile and cherish your poor old mother-in-law as if she were your own mother.  There is nothing that cheers us up like doing the right thing.        
  Dorothy Dix (1935)
******************
If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged." 1 Timothy 5:16a
"The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becoming holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things. That they may teach the young women to be responsible, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed."
Titus 2:3-5
******************
Dear Sisters, I hope you enjoyed some excerpts from my great grandmother's scrapbook as much as I did. It is quite different from what most women are reading today in newspapers and magazines across our land.  I want to share with you something I want to paste in my own scrapbook of memories for my loved ones, including you! ~Smile~
When You Read the Bible Through
I supposed I knew my Bible,
Reading piecemeal, hit or miss,
Now a bit of John or Matthew,
Now a snatch of Genesis,
Certain chapter of Isaiah,
Certain Psalms (the twenty-third),
Twelfth of Romans, First of Proverbs-
Yes, I thought I knew the Word!
But I found that thorough reading
Was a different thing to do,
And the way was unfamiliar
When I read the Bible through.
You who like to play at Bible,
Dip and dabble, here and there,
Just before you kneel, aweary,
And yawn through a hurried prayer;
You who treat the Crown of Writings
As you treat no other book-
Just a paragraph disjointed,
Just a crude impatient look-
Try a worthier procedure,
Try a broad and steady view;
You will kneel in very rapture
When you read the Bible through!  
--Amos R. Wells
******************************
Oh, so true, so true!
His Word is absolutely priceless and precious.
It gets richer and richer each time through.
Love,
Laine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker