First love

Dear Sisters,
A friend, who I have come to know over e-mail, recently sent me this beautiful letter of her first love. I asked her if I might share it with you. She graciously accepted. She writes so succinctly what I say in many words.
Love,
Laine
***************************************************************************
FIRST LOVE
My first love. That is a phrase that I have heard so many times over the years. And I don't think I ever really grasped the meaning or importance of it until this past weekend.
Over the years I have been told that Jesus is my first love. Being a Christian I would just smile and agree with the statement. But in reality I never truly fell in love with Jesus. I never felt the passion and desire to be with him every waking moment, to rest in his loving arms each night, and to know everything about him, and most importantly, I didn't want him to know everything about me.
But this past weekend I came to a new place in my relationship with God and my love for Jesus. Falling in love with Jesus is the first step to a real true relationship with him. And the beginning of understanding my purpose for being on earth, as well as my role as a wife and a mother.
My first love, my ultimate priority, must be to my husband in heaven. As the bride of Christ I have a deep, deep love for him. And as a bride I am instructed to respect and submit to him. I can love because he is the perfect husband loving me. Looking after my best interest and putting my needs above his own. He has willing laid down his life for me. No man has ever loved me this much. And I can't help but fall completely in love with him. I have a passion for Him beyond comprehension. I have an inexpressible joy. I long for his touch, to see his face, to hear his words, to read his love letter to me.
I want to please him, to share everything with him. I want him to enjoy my company as much as I enjoy his. I want him to know me, and I want to not be ashamed of the things that I tell him. I want to lay down with him, to walk with him, to eat with him, to play with him, to cry with him, to laugh with him. I want everybody I know to meet him. I am so proud of this relationship. My first love.
Most importantly I want this relationship to be shared with my children. I want them to see the love that I have for Jesus. And I want them to know that love as well. They, too, are brides of Christ. I want them to long for Him as a bride longs for her husband. I want them to rest in his love and know that He truly is their first love; that all other love flows because of the perfect love that they are able to learn and share with their first love. And that love never goes away.
I want to share this love with my earthly husband. I want to delight in the time that we can be together with Jesus. I want to wake up in the mornings and share that precious morning time with my husbands. To embrace the day with that perfect love, that we know because he showed us how to love.
My first love...... My true and perfect love. I can now love.... because he first loved me!
Debi King (June 1998

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker