A Visit From Wormwood

Dear Sisters,
I wanted to send to you this special story from Jennifer Murphy. She sent it to me last week, and it ties in so well with what I have been sharing with you. How many times have I cried out to the LORD over the years to help me stay focused in His Word when everything around me seemingly screamed for my attention. Perseverance. Remember that tool? Perseverance in the Word. It isn't a scream anymore that I hear, more like a wimper. Now I hear the Word of God calling to me loud and clear; and I come a running. Without further introduction, here is Jennifer's story:
Today, the devil came a calling.
He sat down at my kitchen table, rested his chin in his hands, looked at me and said, "I am troubled ... you have been reading your Bible, and this concerns me." He leant back and waved his hands at my home. "While you are reading your Bible, look at what happens. Your house becomes messy and dirty. Dishes not done, beds not made. You are not doing it right. The idea is to read your Bible when everything else has been done. Once your house is neat and tidy, after dinner is made, and the dishes are done, after the kids are in bed, after you've spent time with your husband. After you have had a good night's sleep, after you've made breakfast, packed lunches, and got everyone organized for the day. The time to spend with God is after all your tasks and jobs have been done ... and not before."
I sat there stunned ... maybe, just maybe he was right ...
I didn't really want the devil in my home, especially sitting at my kitchen table, so I took action, and rang my Pastor. "Help me, Pastor," I said, "the devil has come a calling and this is what he's saying ..." and
I told him what was going on.
While I was speaking to the Pastor, the devil started looking in my kitchen and commenting, "Look in these cupboards, you haven't scrubbed them out for ages, and how do you find anything in your pantry - this needs a huge organization, definitely before you start getting side-tracked with the Bible. And, while we are here, do you really think you are doing your family a favor by feeding them this sort of food?"
Now, while my cleanliness habits were being attacked, my Pastor gave me some wonderful words of wisdom. "Jennifer" he said "the devil doesn't come a calling unless he is worried about where you are going. By reading the Bible, and spending time in God's Word, you are gaining ground and threatening the devil. This is why he is here with you ... now, this is what I suggest ... pray before you open your Bible, that the Lord will reveal his will to you, that you will receive the strength and wisdom to continue on."
"This visit is because you are walking forward in God's kingdom, continue walking ... oh, and by the way, lock the door next time the devil comes a calling."
I thanked my Pastor, and took my trusty broom, and shooed the devil out of my kitchen, took out my Bible, and started reading. The devil knocked on my door, rapped on my window, and called down the air vents, but to no avail, the Word had blocked my ears.
Now, in case you are wondering, this is a true story, and happened this morning.
Jennifer Murphy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker