Laine's Twelves Gifts of Wisdom- The Best Letter Yet!!


Dear Sisters,
My letter this week will be a little different. I want to give you a Christmas present. This letter, filled with God's Word, is my Christmas present to you. It is some of the many gleanings that I have taken from the Word of God over the years. My Bibles are so marked up with notes and falling apart that I had to pull notes from here and there putting this all together. But I wanted to help you with the help my beautiful Savior has given me from the beauty of His Word. Without further explanation, would you unwrap the "tissue paper" and look into my present for you? ~Smile~ Each present is individually wrapped, so I will number them for you so that you might open each one in order.
I love you,
Laine
Present #1: Wise women rise early.
"And all the people would get up early in the morning to come to Jesus in the temple to listen to Him." Luke 21:38
(Psalm 119:147) (Mark 1: 35) (Matthew 28:1) (Acts 5:21) (1 Samuel 17:20) (Joshua 3:1) (Exodus 24:4) (Song of Solomon 7:12) (1 Samuel 1 :19) (Luke 24:1&22) (Exodus 9:13) (Proverbs 31:15)
I use to be a late riser. I had a million excuses why I needed to sleep in. But I can tell you that it didn't help me any. I was still always tired. I was still always behind in my work. And I still never had enough time to read God's Word. Now I get up early every morning and spend my first hours with my King. This month will be seven years that I have risen early to come to Jesus and listen to Him. My life will never be the same. He has done more with my heart than I could have ever dreamed possible. Still tired? Sometimes. But the peace, oh, the peace that passes all understanding is guarding my heart in Christ Jesus now and it is worth any loss of sleep that I might experience. Still behind in my work? What mother isn't? ~Smile~ But the joy, oh, the joy that I have now as I work here in my home is beyond description. I sit with the LORD in the morning and He makes me realize anew why it is all worth so much to Him. Then I go to work in His strength.
Present #2: Wise women slip away to pray.
"But Jesus Himself would often slip away to lonely places and pray." Luke 5:16
(Mark 6:31) (Luke 4:42) (1Samuel 12:23) (1 Peter 5:7) (Philippians 4:6-7)
Praying is talking with God. Praying is thanking God. Praying is praising God. Praying is just about the sweetest communion I know on this earth. Many times when I try to slip away to pray my children will follow me. Invariably when I am trying to get alone, they are trying to find me. But they did the same to Jesus. It was Peter who went hunting for him one morning when He had slipped away to pray. So that comforts me. And I continue to slip away to pray. Even if it is a stone's throw away from my children. My heart desparately needs those sweet moments in my day.
Present #3: Wise women ponder God's Word.
"But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart." Luke 2:19
(Psalm 119:11) (Luke 2:51) (Proverbs 15:28) (Opposite woman:Proverbs 5:6)
One of the nice things about beginning your day with God is that your mind tends to dwell on what He shared with you that morning. So while you're vacuuming or washing the dishes, your mind will be pondering what you read earlier. And sometimes when you're listening to a beautiful praise song, something will "click" in your mind that He taught you. All of a sudden you want to shout, "Aha! I get it!" His Word becomes your treasure. A treasure to be brought out and pondered time and time again while doing any task. Somehow the pondering makes the task that much more pleasant.
Present #4: Wise women take time to recline.
"And when the hour had come Jesus reclined at the table and the apostles with Him." Luke 22:14
(Luke 12:37) (Luke 24:30) (Matthew 14:19) (Luke 13:29) (John 13:23)
One of the most relaxing times of the day is our dinner hour. Oh, it didn't use to be that way. Why? Well, we were involved in a myriad of sports and music lessons. Busy, busy, busy was our life. Something had to give. And it did. Our dinner hour. But we all missed it terribly. Especially my husband and I. So two years later we decided to forgo the sports and rearrange the music lessons. We brought our dinner hour back. That wonderful time of the  day to recline and enjoy the company of our family around the dinner table. I think it was one of the wisest things we could have done. Why? Well, it was there that we led our children to talk to us. Very often during the dinner hour we have had some of our most meaningful conversations as a family. Now our older boys will linger at the table with us. We enjoy their company and they enjoy ours. It is one of the blessings of "reclining" at the end of the day. Just like Jesus did with those He loved.
Present #5: Wise Women practice hospitality.
"Be hospitable to one another without complaint." 1 Peter 4:9
(Romans 12:13) (Hebrews 13:2) (Romans 16:2) (Mark 6:37) (Romans 15:24 & 32 - The definition of hospitality)
I remember when I use to think, "I just don't have the gift of hospitality." What a surprise to learn from the Word of God that hospitality was not a gift, rather a practice. A practice for every believer. So I asked the LORD to help me practice hospitality. He sent the same guest to me five weekends in a row. ~Smile~ A guest on a very stringent diet. ~Big Smile~ By the fifth weekend, I was definitely getting in a lot of hospitality practice. And the LORD was breaking into this old heart of mine to see the value of practicing hospitality. Not only for the refreshment and encouragement to those He brings my way, but for the value of serving others to this heart of mine.
Present #6: Wise women teach their children God's Word.
"Like newborn babes, long for the pure milk of the Word, that by it you may grow in respect to salvation." 1Peter 2:2
(Deuteronomy 4:9-10) (Psalm 119:11) (Proverbs 1:8) (Proverbs 6:20) (Deuteronomy 6:4-7) (Psalm 78:3-4) (Psalm 32:8) (Proverbs 4:20-22) (Proverbs 4:3-4) (Deuteronomy 32:46-47) (Luke 24:45) (Luke 24:27)
I remember when I first began to teach my children God's Word. It was so new to me, too, that I felt kind of funny sitting down with them and trying to teach them what I was so unsure of myself. And their questions were so difficult sometimes! But I persevered and I am now on my seventh year of teaching them the Truths from God's Word. I can only tell you that it has resulted in blessing upon blessing upon blessing in our lives. Even this morning. My heart was bursting as I shared with them the riches from the book of Luke. The LORD helps me to teach them. I cannot get over the rich, rich conversations and teachings that come during those morning devotions with my children. God does the impossible. He takes an unskilled mom and breathes His Word through her lips. Then He takes the heart of a child and transforms it through His Living Word. It is simply the most amazing thing going on in my kitchen.
Present #7: Wise women recognize that their womb is a private place.
"Who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:13
(Luke 1:35) (Luke 1:24) (Ruth 4:13) (1Samuel 1: 5, 20) (1 Samuel 2:21) (Psalm 127:3-5) (Numbers 26:59) (Genesis 46:8-26) (Psalm 127:3) ((Psalm 128:3)
We have so many women in our society who are hurting. Many of them write to me. They are hurting because they want more children, but their husbands do not. They are hurting because they cannot physically have more children. They are hurting because they have no children. The above verse in John speaks of the physical way children are born. Some are born of the will of man (or a husband). Some are not born in the same way due to birth control or an operation to stop conception. This can cause great pain for some women. But God is the healer of pain. And His Word is the incredible balm. Over and over again in His Word He tells the wife that she is under her husband's authority. That she is to be in submission to him. He is her head, and she can rest in that truth. It is no one else's business but hers and her husband's under God concerning her womb. For the womb is a very, very private place.
Likewise, for the women who are blessed with many children. They can be hurt by insensitive remarks that should never be uttered. It is no one else's business how many children God gives to a woman and her husband. And it is very wrong for another believer to tell a woman how to live under the authority of her husband. That believer is not her head. That believer is not the ruler of her womb. That believer is wise to keep quiet and to pray for her sister in Christ; and to help her whenever she can. For that woman, as well as the women mentioned above, is raising children for His Glory. And their wombs are a very, very private place.
What about those women who cannot have children? My heart goes out to you. My heart goes out to you. May God give you the children that you so desire. Perhaps it might be through a miracle of God, such as Elizabeth experienced giving birth to John the Baptist. Perhaps it might be through adoption. Perhaps it might be that you will be the mother that a child never really had. For He says in His Word:
"God makes a home for the lonely." Psalm 68:6a
"He makes the barren woman abide in the house as a joyful mother of children. Praise the LORD!" Psalms 113:9
I don't know how He will do it, but our God can do above all that we ask or even think. It's the waiting that is hard sometimes. But we have a faithful God, so we can trust Him faithfully in His time table.
I have another present that I can't wait for you to open. Hurry, open the next one!
Present #7: Wise women realize that their grandchildren are their children, too.
"These are the sons of Rachel, who were born to Jacob, there were fourteen persons in all." Genesis 46:22
(Genesis 46:15, 18, 25) (Genesis 46:26 - all the persons were Jacob's direct descendants, grandchildren included) (Genesis 48:5) (Leviticus 18:19) (Exodus 31:2 - Names the father and the grandfather with the son)
I will never forget when I realized this wonderful truth from the Word of God: my grandchildren were my children! Rachel only gave birth to two sons: Joseph and Benjamin. But Scripture records her as having fourteen sons! That is because all her grandchildren were considered her children as well. Look what the neighbors say to Ruth when her first grandson is born:
"And the neighbor women gave him a name, saying, 'A son has been born to Naomi!' So they named him Obed. He is the father of Jesse, the father of David." Ruth 4:17
Naomi had her first grandson, but the neighbor women called him her son. How exciting! That means that my grandchildren will indeed be my children. I look forward to how many children God will give me. Perhaps He might even set one of His lonely ones in our home. Motherhood does indeed go on even after God takes me Home.
Present #8: Wise women refresh their homes.
"Oil and perfume make the heart glad." Proverbs 27:9a
(Psalm 23:5) (Psalm 141:5) (Psalm 133:2) (Ecclesiastes 9:8) (Matthew 26:7) (Exodus 30:31-35) (1 Samuel 8:13) (Exodus 25:6)
Sometimes I will write to you of what oils I am using for this or for that. I know that a lot of people are talking about aromatherapy these days. But I didn't originally learn about oils through a book. I learned about them through the Word of God. As I would study the Old Testament and see the wonderful oils used in the temple of God, I saw the value of using them in my home and on my person. There are so many wonderful essential oils, and when I use them I can't help but praise my Father. Sometimes I am mopping my floor and the smell of rosemary is wafting up at me. It is the most beautiful scent. So much so that I look forward to mopping with it. I love to dab a couple of drops of lavender on my inner garments. The smell will linger for hours and seems to assail my senses at just the right time. Yes, oil and perfume do indeed make the heart glad.
Present #9: Wise women see the value of herbs and spices.
"His cheeks are like a bed of balsam, banks of sweet-scented herbs; his lips are lilies, dripping with liquid myrrh." Song of Solomon 5:13
(Song of Solomon 4:10, 13-14) (Proverbs 27:25) (Psalm 37:2) (Exodus 12:8)(Proverbs 5:4)
As I study herbs and use them in my home, I cannot get over the wonderful plants that the LORD has put on this earth for us. They are truly such a gift. I would imagine that if I studied them all my life, I would still not barely scratch the surface at the amazing healing properties of the many herbs God put on our planet. Solomon was one of the wisest men who ever lived, and he studied herbs. I have found it very profitable to learn how to use herbs to heal and soothe my family. I haven't written a great deal about it, because I am still so new a student in this field. But I can tell that my studies will be profitable for my children, so I am teaching them as I learn. We have been sick a lot this year, but I see it as opportunity. Opportunity to continue learning how to eat healthier and prevent sickness. And opportunity to use herbs to heal and to soothe. It was the Bible that convinced me to begin eating "the finest wheat and honey" rather than white flour and sugar. My recipes are slowly changing as I learn to cook using some of the basic ingredients, herbs, and spices so often mentioned in the Bible.
Present #10: Wise women recognize their cycles and prepare beforehand.
"And for the woman who is ill because of menstrual purity..." Leviticus 15:33
(Genesis 31:35)
I will never forget stumbling upon the above verse. I knew I felt sick every month! It was so nice for the LORD to say it was indeed so. I have learned that it is so wise to be ready for this time of the month. I know it is coming. I know how I will be feeling. And it is wise if I get as much done as possible beforehand, and then realize I am ill and need to sit a lot during this short time. Is this possible, you're asking me? Sit? Sit?! Yes, that is why I included Genesis 31:35. Notice that Rachel is sitting. Rachel is not even rising for her father. He understood that when she said, "the manner of women is upon me." Women sat then. Women need to sit now. I love what my cousin says, "Laine, pamper yourself during this time. Take a bath. Have some hot tea." It is also best if I try to keep my mouth shut. I am apt to put my foot in it if I do open it. ~Smile~ It is a good time to sit with my children and enjoy their antics. Or to do some sort of sitting work. Yes, the house will tend to get messy. Yes, I will feel pitiful due to swaying emotions. But it is over before I know it, and I will feel so much better once my body has purified itself. Oh, and red raspberry tea always helps, too.
Present #11: Wise women walk in The Spirit of God.
Jesus said, "It is the Spirit Who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; The Words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life." John 6:63
(Hebrews 12:9) (John 4:24) (John 4:10 & 14) (John 3:8) (Luke 24:31) (Luke 21:34-36) (Luke 11:28) (James 1:22)
Very often I will get a question something like this, "Laine, what do you do on those days when nothing seems to go right?" You know, I have to tell you, my days have changed immeasurably since I began to pray, "Behold your maidservant, be it done to me as You will." I want to have the lightest touch on my life and the strongest grip on my Savior. I used to be afraid to give Him my total self. Afraid that He would have me do something I wouldn't want to do or give up something that I liked or loved. Clinging to the things of this world only caused me grief. Since I gave up everything, His joy has been my strength. So when I do have days where nothing seems to go right, I lean back against Him and trust that My Master has it all under control. I am His Servant. And He takes excellent care of His Servants. I love to see how He will guide me. Very often at the end of the day I will think, "It was all just so right." Not the way I would have planned it, but "just so right."
Present #12: Wise women are not wise women overnight.
I had to give you one last present before I go. It has been a wonderful year serving you all. So many of you have written me some of the sweetest letters imaginable. Truly they have kept me writing many times. I pray for you all so often. I know that the LORD has each and every one of you on our list, and I pray that all of you might fall in love with Jesus and serve Him fully in that love. Since I have fallen in love with our LORD, my life has been turned upside down and inside out. I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to have a daily time alone with God. Wise women still sit at His Feet. I have learned so much these past seven years. These two verses describe it so much better than I ever could:
"Then Jesus opened their minds to understand the Scriptures." Luke 24:45
"And they said to one another, 'Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?' " Luke 24:32
That is exactly what happens in my kitchen in the early morning hour when I sit at His Feet. He opens my mind to understand the Scriptures, and time and time again my heart burns within me as He is explaining His Word to me. Oh, I am so glad I did not give up when His Word was difficult for me to understand. Oh, I am so glad that I still got up when I had a nursing baby and three little ones. Oh, I am so glad that I didn't miss out on one morning even when I was sick or visiting someone or had stayed up late the night before. Oh, I am so glad, I am so glad, I am so glad that I persevered in His Word these past seven years. For wise women are not wise women overnight. I have a long, long way to go. But I do know what it is like to have my heart burning within me as He opens the Scriptures when all is still and quiet in my kitchen. It is the holiest of places, and I am never sorry for everything it took for me to get there.
Merry Christmas and May the LORD bless you all this coming year. God willing, I will be back with you the beginning of January. I look forward to what God will do!
Love,
Laine


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker