Loving to learn

Dear Sisters,
I love to learn. But I'm afraid it was not always that way. My mind use to be closed to learning a lot of new things. Especially from the Word of God. Here were my excuses:
"I don't have the time."
'I'm just not creative."
"Those brain cells have already died."
"I'm not like her. Everything is harder for me."
And on and on it went. For many years actually. I still find myself saying those words sometimes. I remember when I was first learning how to run this computer. I felt so inept, and I was sure I couldn't figure this thing out. But I did. And I'm still learning all the time. Today I transferred some of my files to a floppy disc. That was new for me. It was so neat to figure it out and make it work.
One of the verses that helped me a lot in learning "how to learn" was this verse:
"And it came about that after three days they found Jesus in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them, and asking them questions." Luke 2:46
The first thing I noticed... learning takes humility. If the King of Kings and LORD of LORDs was willing to humble Himself under his earthly teachers, and to listen and ask questions of them, then I am wise to do the same.
And just how did Jesus learn from them? First off, He listened. Ouch. That is the one thing I'm trying to practice. Listening. I have heard this before in the Word of God, haven't you?
"But everyone must be quick to listen, slow to speak..." James 1:19
Quick to listen. I am afraid I tend to be "quick to speak" and "slow to listen." Does that get me into trouble? Oh, yes. And could I have learned more and saved myself much heartache if I had been listening first? Oh, yes. No wonder the Bible exhorts women to be gentle and...here's another non-verbal word... "quiet." Ouch. Ouch. Ouch!
"Let a woman 'quietly' receive instruction..." 1 Timothy 2:11
"But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet." 1 Timothy 2:12
"In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to The Word, they may be 'won without a word' by the behavior of their wives." 1 Peter 3:1
Some wonderful example of two quiet women with the same first name are found in the Bible. Both were good listeners and definitely good learners. They both listened to God's Word and treasured it up in their heart. They were both named Mary.
"But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart." Luke 2:19
"And Martha had a sister called Mary, who moreover was listening to the LORD's Word, seated at His Feet." Luke 10:42
Listening. Learning. Treasuring each Word. Pondering each Statement. Jesus said it all. For He had sat in the midst of His teachers and submitted Himself to listening and learning from them. Jesus said:
"Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:42
There is no better place to be than at His Feet "listening" and "learning" His Word. Oh, once you've trained your ear to listen, the next part of learning will follow quite naturally. And that is "asking questions." Notice that Jesus listened and He asked questions of His teachers. Never be afraid to ask the LORD a question. We are His Children. And children love to ask questions, don't they? No wonder the LORD exhorts us to be like little children. They are humble enough to listen. They are humble enough to ask questions. Therefore they are humble enough to learn. For learning takes humility. Jesus did the same. And we are so wise to follow His example.
Now my excuses have turned into questions to my Father/ Teacher:
'LORD, can you show me how to use my time wisely?"
"Father, can I be creative just like You? Can You bless my hands?"
"Father, can you captivate every thought to Jesus and make it give up and obey Him?"
"Oh, LORD, can you help me to be like her, but in the unique way you made me?"
Then I look up to my Heavenly Father with great expectation and watch Him work.
Love to you,
Laine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker