Frugal Gift Ideas........Really, Really, Frugal Gift Ideas

Dear Sisters,
What creative women you are! And I know you are creative because you have The Creator for your Father.
I have always been, shall we say, lacking for funds in the gift area. But I love to give gifts. So here are some of my past gifts:
Wedding Shower: I brought a "Honeymoon Survival Kit". I wrapped a box very attractively with the words "Honeymoon Survival Kit" written on top and put in it items that I had bought (I had everything on hand) with coupons for free or near free: nail polish, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, perfume samples, comb, dental floss, 2 toothbrushes, trial size hair spray, emery board, and many other items of that nature. The bride-to-be loved it!
Wedding: I bought a light green basket and put in it many items a bride would need setting up a home. (I had everything on hand and didn't need to buy anything but the basket.) I bought many of these items for low prices or free with my coupons: laundry detergent, windex, stain remover, ammonia, paper towels, toilet paper, soap, dish detergent, sponge, and many other items of that nature. I just put a big bow on it with the card tucked inside. (I buy my cards ahead for all occasions from thrift shops, so I had this on hand too.) My husband was too embarrassed to carry this in to the wedding, so my son did. (Isn't that just like a man! Ha!) The bride came out after the ceremony and that was the first thing she noticed on the gift table. (I was in the wedding.) She exclaimed, "Who gave me this?! Oh, this is so great. I need all this stuff!"
Christmas: Years ago I had $20 for Christmas to buy for 12 people. I sat there and thought how to go about it. I announced to everyone that we were having a thrift shop Christmas! They all knew where their presents were coming from under our tree. I still laugh when I picture my father in law opening his toilet paper holder (someone had obviously made it in a shop class) that could hold a magazine above the toilet paper. Oh, did he laugh at that! And my sister in law got a half used Mary Kay make-up consultant's kit as she was learning cosmetology. I never saw her laugh so hard. It was a very fun time of gift giving.
Child's Birthday: I have been teaching my children how to cook. One of their favorite things to bring to a birthday party is a "bear bread". It is just a simple cinnamon bread recipe that is shaped into a bear. You cut the dough into three equal pieces and take two pieces for the body and the head shaping them into two mounds together on a greased cookie sheet. Then you cut the remaining piece into seven equal pieces. These are the ears, feet, hands, and nose. You roll those in little mounds and put them in their proper places. Cover and let rise.Then cut with a sharp point of a knife a place for the eyes and put raisins in. Slice the nose part and put a raisin in there. And slice another for the belly button and put a raisin there. Brush with an egg wash and cook at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Tie a simple ribbon at the neck when cool. My kids have brought this to their Sunday school teachers too. It is always a big hit.
Recently Divorced: My friend's brother was recently divorced. His wife took absolutely everything one day while he was at work with a moving van and workers. Wiped him out completely. A week later my friend and I went through our homes and put together sheets, blankets, dishes, toiletries, toys and books for the kids, a cookbook, clothing for all of them, canned goods, pots and pans, and some other fun items for the kids. His mother and my mother also added some bought things like silverware, a mixer, a Christmas tree, etc. We set it all up while he was at work. When he came home he was so excited to keep opening closets and cupboards with his kids (as told to me by my friend) finding all their new things. To this day he doesn't know who did it. It was great to take part in this.
Far Away Relatives: I always send my brother and his family books for Christmas or birthdays. I am the "book aunt". I do this as I can get great books at great prices over the year in my travels (thrift shop or garage sales or swap meet) and send them book rate. I always look for new books for them. I am amazed at what I can find. There is a big savings on postage, and I beat the holiday rush because I have to send them ahead of time to get there by Christmas.
Grandmother: I send her a lot of stamps for the year. She loves it! And I can just include them in my Christmas or birthday card to her. This year I paid for her to get her hair done on her birthday. She loved that too.
Teenagers: I gave my son for his birthday a 20 minute phone call to his friend who lives out of state (on Saturday as it is the cheapest). This would run about $2.75 on Saturday. He loved that.
My Eleven Year Old: We gave our son recently a fishing trip to the beach with his dad. The only cost for this was the gas. He loved it!
Wrapping Paper: I use wallpaper bought at $1 a roll on sale. It is so pretty! My kids use the funnies for their gifts. My husband just hands it to me in the bag it came in from the store. Ha!
After Surgery: My friend had some pretty serious surgery, so I made her a tape with all my favorite praise music to listen to while she was in bed recovering. She really enjoyed it. This cost 99 cents for the cassette tape.
My Friend's Birthday: People love pictures of their kids. So when I have someone's children over, I take their picture. If it is a good one, I have it enlarged through a mail order company that has good prices: usually $2.50 for an 8x10 including postage. I have done this for two friends. And I've also done it for my in laws with their grown kids. Everyone loved it.
Thank You Gift: I take a flower pot or something old like a tea pot and put some clippings from my geraniums in it with some fresh potted dirt. Takes only a short time to root and is easily and quickly done. I am learning to pair geraniums with ivy. What a beautiful duo.
New Cook: I handwrite some of my favorite recipes on a pretty journal type book bought inexpensively. One day I didn't have a book, so I made one out of old cards (I save all my cards). I pasted the prettiest cards I could find into an old Avon Victorian daytimer. And then wrote my recipes over the cards. That was one of my favorite projects.
My Parent's Anniversary: When my parents were struggling financially and I was handling their finances, we turned our living room into a restaurant for them. We put a small table in front of the fireplace with a nice fire going. A candle was lit on the table with two menus that we had made. There were two choices under each heading on the menu. Soft music came from the stereo while their waiters (my two sons with towels over their arms and mustaches etched over their lips) seated them when they arrived all dressed up at our front door. They had a small bell to signal their waiters, which they used quite often. The cook (me!) was in the kitchen cooking like crazy. I served their favorite dishes on my best dinnerware. It was fun to peek behind the curtain we put up to see them talking and eating before the cozy fire. While they ate their main course, my son played "Beauty and the Beast" for them on the piano. To his surprise, they got up and danced! My parents left their waiters a nice tip and took home their menus as a momento. They said it was one of their most memorable anniversaries ever.
Oh, I have gone on too long! But I love to encourage women, especially when the money is tight. And the money is always tight! I think that is God's gift to awaken our creativity which brings more pleasure than I can say.
Love,
Laine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker