How a mother can bring up her children in the Lord

Dear Sisters,
I wanted to write in on the topic of the week before it passed by to the next topic. It is such a good topic! How I love to share God's Word with my children. I try to do this every week day and to have a time of prayer with them as well. We also memorize Scripture together. We finished memorizing a passage in 1 Peter last week and this week we are working on Romans 8:1-3. ( We are presently finishing up Acts in our Bible studying). All of my children memorize Scripture, even my five year old. I love the verse where Paul mentions Timothy knowing the Word of God since his infancy, so I try to do the same with my children.
Does my husband get involved? More and more as I have just quietly done the job. Because if I hadn't, it would not have been done due to my husband's work load. So I encourage my husband because he gets up early now to spend time in God's Word himself, and he takes our children to church faithfully on Wednesday nights and Saturday and Sunday. Last night,while we were talking in bed, he told me that he wants to pray with the children. He just feels an urging to do this. I encouraged him to pray with them and silently thanked God for this "urging."
Over and over I have seen my husband change as I have quietly just went about my duties. First I got up early to be alone with the LORD for many years, and then I saw my husband begin to do the same thing, sporadically at first, and then more faithfully. And as he would read his Bible, I would pray, "Oh, LORD, teach him; give him a hunger for your Word." God is answering that prayer.
My oldest boys are given 40 minutes a day to just read the Bible on their own. I always tell them to ask the LORD to teach them as they read, for He is The Teacher. I pray while they are reading their Bibles, too. It has been wonderful to see my eleven year old get up early once, come out to the kitchen while I am reading my Bible,and then ask for his Bible to read. How I pray they will get into a Godly habit of spending time alone with the LORD every day on their own. I work to establish that habit now with them. Oftentimes while they are reading, or thereafter, they will ask me poignant questions concerning what they've read. It is fabulous to talk with them, as it is my husband, for we are all learning new things from His Word daily.
The LORD bless you all. Keep clinging to Him. Keep clinging to His Word. Your children will "catch" your excitement and be blessed to follow in your footsteps.
Love,
Laine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker