What Does Hospitality Look Like Exactly?

Dear Sisters,
I have enjoyed learning from you all about hospitality. What a great group of women! Even if you're struggling with hospitality, the beautiful thing is that you are all so willing to learn. And that is the essence of "practice hospitality." For there are going to be times when you least feel like practicing it, but those are the times when it is probably needed the most. Practicing something is like that, isn't it? Smile.
This happened to me this past weekend. My husband wanted to invite our 17 year old neighbor over for a game of Risk Saturday with him and the kids. I have been praying for her since she moved next door seven months ago. She is very angry with her stepfather and has been hurt by many teenage boys. We have invited her to church many times, but she was not interested.
My problem that afternoon was that I had my daughter's birthday to prepare for that evening and the finishing of my Easter baking. So I asked Art if we might do it another time. He said okay. Then I prayed quickly that if the LORD had other plans, then she'd come over. Well, the LORD had other plans. Smile.
Annie came over and spent the whole evening with us playing Risk, eating, and then celebrating our daughter's birthday when my folks and my aunt and uncle arrived. Art invited her to church again with us. She smiled and said she maybe would come.
I had just finished my Bible study when the phone rang on Easter morning at 6:00 a.m. It was Annie. She asked if she could be over in three minutes. I told her to come on over. My home was in total disarray from the night before, and three minutes just wasn't enough time to pull it together. So when she walked in I said, "Just step over the mess, Annie, and come into the kitchen for some coffee and granola." I had prayed that morning that she would go to church with us, so I knew the LORD was working in this teenager's life to get her up at 5:30 and ready for church. Even she was surprised she was sitting in my kitchen at this early hour! There was the normal hustle and bustle of church preparation while she pleasantly sat in my kitchen and sipped her coffee. We all left for church at 6:30 a.m.
The beautiful part of this story is Annie rededicated her life to Christ! I thought I would weep for joy that beautiful Easter morning!
Last night Annie came to my door just before dinner. I invited her in to have calzones with us. Art and I gave her a Student Bible. She went to church again last night and said she'd go with us this weekend. Oh, the LORD is so good. It is such a blessing to be His Servant. That He would allow us to share in His joy of hospitality. It is not easy. It is hard work "in the LORD." It is laying down your life that another might live. It is often inconvenient. It is a lot of "captivating every thought to Christ" and "trusting in the LORD in all your ways, leaning not to your own understanding" that He might be glorified through His Strength in our weakness.
Love to you all,
Laine

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker