Thanksgiving recipes, pray and pay, paying off debt

Dear Sisters,
Hi! I have been so wanting to write to you all, and I have a letter started, but with the busyness of Thanksgiving, I couldn't sit down and finish it. I hope you are all doing well. We are fine here at our home. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with seventeen people around our two tables. I recently made a nourishing turkey soup with the leftover bones and meat, as well as a creamy, cheese potato soup with the leftover mashed potatoes. (Both recipes are on our website.) My mom wanted a ham with our Thanksgiving dinner, so I made a ham and bean soup, too, with the leftover ham bone. I tell you, I get as excited about cooking with the leftovers as I do the main meal that they come from! And with a good homemade bread, soup is just so satisfying, so healthy, and so frugal in the winter months. ~Smile~ There is much treasure to be found in a kitchen full of homecooked love, isn't there? It's my gift to my family. And it's my gift to you all, too, as I share my favorite recipes with you on our website.
A couple of years ago I shared the recipes from our Thanksgiving feast with you. I looked at those recipes this year and realized that I pretty much cooked the same recipes this year. Thanksgiving traditions are so special. I feel blessed to bring some of my grandmother's, my mother's, and my friends' traditions to my table, as well as my own. I use my grandmother's cracker stuffing every year. We just love it. I had a friend's father at our table last year, and she just called me and said her father wants my grandmother's recipe for stuffing. He just loved it. Recipes are such treasures! And they're all on the website for you.
When the fires hit our area recently, my Bible, our photos, precious letters, and my recipes were on the top of my list to take. It's been wonderful making this special recipe book for my son, Quincy, as he requested because I can grab one book with all my recipes in it. It's taking me a year to write this recipe book for him for I soon realized that I cook certain recipes at different seasons of the year. So I've been adding to it time and time again. I just added some Thanksgiving recipes this week.
We paid off our house! Yes! We are debt free in 2003! God is so very good. It has been a lot of prayer and practice. Or as I like to say, "Pray and pay." I am working on a letter to share with you all how the LORD helped us to pay off this house on an annual "take home" income of $29,000 or less for the past nineteen years with six people living in our house and a whole lot of guests. (My husband said I could share his income amount with you in hopes of helping others who are struggling financially. I am a full time homemaker and have been so for the past twenty-one years.) I so often say, "It's not the amount that comes in that counts, it's how it goes out which greatly matters."
"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5
"Honor the LORD with your possesions, and with the firstfruits of all your increase. Then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will overflow with new wine." Proverbs 3:9-10
"Endure hardship as discipline. God is treating you as sons." Hebrews 12:1
"God disciplines us for our own good, that we may share in His Holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:10-11
Art has been with the same company for nineteen years. He is a wonderful welder and could make a much larger income, but he feels the LORD has him at this company. It is his mission field. He has no sick pay, nor vacation pay, and never has at this company for the past nineteen years he's worked for them. He does have medical insurance, but no dental or eye care. So I have done my best to stretch what he brings in. It's a learning process that has been going on for years and years. I pray that I can share what God has taught me thus far, and this is the letter I am working on just now. It hasn't been easy to get debt free in Southern California, but, oh, so profitable. I just love seeing the load lifted off my husband's shoulders. It's the best gift anyone could have given to me. Art is just so pleased! So pleased! He goes around singing that the shackles are off him. ~Smile~ I'd work twice as hard, if I had to do it all over again, to see him so refreshed and relieved. It's just blessing my socks off to see my husband so renewed.
Are we on easy street now with no debt? Well, not exactly. We are presently putting our two sons through college debt free. Again, it's not easy. But so profitable. We're still tight, and I'm still stretching Art's income. This week I had $60 to spend on groceries, and I prayed as I shopped at the stores. I made it! I spent $60.75 all total and came home with 40 items which will make my cooking so pleasant this next week. I love shopping with the LORD. He give you eyes to see the good deals and can stretch a small amount of money like no other. He makes all the little things of my life so joyful. And then I get so share with others who are struggling in the same struggles He's helped me through. I wouldn't have anything to share had He not walked me through. It's just so good to know Him and to love Him, yes!
I also know our kids are learning so much through all of this, which will help them when they have their own families some day. My older boys are both hard workers, each carrying a job as well as going to school. Quincy has paid for his college up to this point, but he would like to attend Bible college full time next semester, and this is where we come in to help him. My boys are both debt free so far with their cars paid for. They also pay for their own car insurance, gas, registration, clothes, and anything else they might need. It's not been easy for them, but I can see the profit already as they mature into fine young men. As much as we have tried to ground them in the Word of God growing up, we have also tried to ground them in being wise with their money. They both tithe and give regularly, save, and try to spend wisely. Which is basically what I will be sharing with you all in my next letter. It's what I've taught my own children for years, and what we've practiced in our own home.
"Two things have I required of Thee; deny me them not before I die. Remove far from me vanity and lies; give me neither poverty nor riches, feed me with the food convenient for me. Lest I be full, and deny Thee, and say, 'Who is the LORD?' or lest I be poor, and steal, and take The Name of my God in vain." Proverbs 30:8-9
"There is that which scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that which witholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty. The liberal soul shall be made fat; and he that watereth shall be watered also himself." Proverbs 12:24-25
"Owe no man anything, but the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law." Romans 13:8
"She does him good all the days of her life. He has no need of spoil." Proverbs 31:11-12
He has no need of spoil because she spoils him! I am doing my best to help my husband be all that God has called him to be. He is the head, and I am the helper. What a team God has ordained in marriage. I used to complain, grumble, and walk through my days with a critical eye - which affected everyone in this house. But by the grace of God, He got me into His Precious Word every day for the past eleven years, and Jesus has changed everything in my life! Our marriage, my motherhood, the use of my time and talents, and, yes, even our finances. I never thought it could be possible. Art told me this morning that when I started walking in God's Word to build up our marriage, he found living with me heaven on earth. What a blessing! He couldn't have paid me a nicer compliment. Because I've definitely been on the other side of the coin.
I used to think we needed more money and more time (which caused no small amount of anxiety, fear, panic, and nagging in me) until I began to understand and practice the use of money and time through God's perspective. A perspective that I need to be reminded of daily, for His "sweetness of lips definitely increases my learning." Jesus loves to multiply the loaves and fishes, yes! And He loves to teach us so much through tight times. I have been His avid student and continue to be so. I keep praying for Him to "train up this child in the way she should go" and " to turn the ashes into His beauty." For I have so much to learn after wasting so much time earlier in my marriage, and I have still so much to put into practice. Yet all things are possible with God. I can see that in the miracle of paying off all our debts on a smaller salary than most in an expensive area of the country. God is so good!
Well, I better get back to work. One more week of school and then it's Christmas soon. I usually have my Christmas cards written by now and most of my shopping done, but I haven't this year. Instead I tried my best to help my husband pay off our house. It meant a lot of staying home to work here and staying out of the stores to avoid spending. I'll look at Art's beaming face this Christmas and that will be my reward. He wanted to pay it off by his 46th birthday, and praise God, we did it. I can't stop thanking the LORD and kissing my husband. I understand Proverbs 31 so much better now: the more you want to bring your husband honor and help, the more you learn to do and save. I pray to have it down by the time I am a grandmother. It makes for a very good and profitable busy.
Have a wonderful day, Sisters.
Love,
Laine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine’s Study of Headcoverings

Getting your home organized

Ants and a homemaker